Grow your own

Covid-19 Coronavirus emergency:  Attending your allotment is still permitted, provided that advice about social distancing and hygiene are followed, and gardeners should not gather in groups on site, although the advice of the National Allotment Society has recently been updated to say that:

“If working your allotment is to carry on being seen as legitimate exercise then it is imperative that plot-holders follow all the guidelines, allotment sites are as risky as anywhere else.”  They say: “We think that now is the time to consider working your plot in isolation i.e. not with household members and if you can stay away for a few weeks to do so.”

Any plot-holder who is self-isolating because a household member is ill with Coronavirus should not visit the site

The National Allotment Society has published advice at:

updated 30th March 2020


Lewes Town Council provides garden allotment plots on several sites in the town:

Landport                                38 plots

Highdown                              43 plots

Church Lane  Malling             5 plots

Paddock Road                      16 plots

Haredean                            123 plots

Queens Road, Malling          17 plots

There are in addition the Boughey Memorial Allotments at Earwig Corner owned by Lewes District Council; Malling Down owned by Sussex Wildlife Trust, and a few others, privately owned, scattered throughout the town.

We operate waiting lists, and prospective tenants can specify their first- and second-choice of site for the next available plot.  Some plots remain quite large, dating from the earliest days of the sites, but tenants sometimes elect to rent only half, or quarter, the area; which allows us to subdivide and create new plots for waiting gardeners.

Allotments may be used for growing vegetables; flowers, fruit etc but not for commercial sale.

To discuss allotments, please contact our Administration Officer, Emma Tingley on 01273 471469; visit our office at the Town Hall, or email her at 

We allow the keeping of beehives provided the majority of other tenants do not object, and beekeepers must agree to special conditions.   Beekeepers are expected to be experienced, or to have close guidance from an experienced beekeeper.  The beekeeper is expected to follow guidance from the British Bee-Keepers Association regarding allotment beekeeping and reccomended acceptable practice. We prefer beekeepers to be members of a beekeeping association which is itself a member of the British Beekeepers Association, (BBKA), or at least be a member of a local beekeeping group., but are happy to consider independent beekeepers.
Each September we hold the Lewes Allotments Show in the Corn Exchange at the Town Hall, a popular and fun event giving tenants the chance to show off what they have grown, or made from the produce, and compete for prizes in dozens of categories.


Find Us

Lewes Town Council
Town Hall
East Sussex BN7 2QS
Tel: 01273 471469

Mon – Thu: 9am – 5pm
Fri: 9am – 4pm