Committees

Remit, members and meeting papers

Council meets approximately every five weeks and may decide to create working-parties for large projects or short tasks.  These can, and sometimes do, co-opt additional members from the community.

Planning applications are considered by a standing committee that meets every three weeks to agree local comments on applications being submitted to the Planning Authority (The South Downs National Park Authority)

Our currently-active Committees and Working Parties are listed below.

There are also functional panels for internal matters: Personnel;  Internal Audit/Corporate Governance (which also acts as a complaints panel in the event of complaints about the Council by the public); oversight of the All Saints Centre, and a financial Grants Panel, which assesses grant applications four times each year.

PUBLIC ATTENDANCE:  Members of the public have the right, and are welcome, to attend meetings of the Council and its Working Parties – QUESTIONS regarding items on the agenda may be heard at the start of each meeting with the Chairman’s consent, subject to time available.  Questions or requests to address the Council should, whenever possible, be submitted in writing to the Town Clerk at least 24 hours in advance.  For more information on how to ask questions, please contact the Town Clerk.

General questions about the work of the Council can be raised at our offices between 9am-5pm Mons- Thurs 9am- 4pm on Fridays – when our staff will be pleased to assist.

All Saints Centre Steering Group

Following the demise in 2001 of the All Saints Trust (who had leased the All Saints Centre since it was gifted to the Town Council in the early 1980’s) the Council decided that it wished to continue direct management of the All Saints Centre. The Centre has continued to enjoy great popularity, offering an eclectic range of events and activities, whilst running on very informal lines and remaining true to the original church covenant requiring it to be used as a community arts and youth centre. The Steering Group exists to maintain oversight of the Centre and periodically consider the detail of proposals and projects, and make recommendations to assist the Council.

Members
Richard Burrows, Catlin, James Herbert, Merlin Milner, Ruth O’Keeffe, Richard Waring,


Meetings Agendas and minutes


Audit and Governance Panel

  1. The Audit & Governance Panel comprises 6 Members, who are NOT also authorized to sign cheques or other financial instruments, or appointed to the Finance Working Party.
  2. The Panel is asked to meet at least 3 times per year, at a practical time following the ends of the 2nd, 3rd, and final financial quarters, with a remit to monitor treasury management and budgets. The Panel will act as a public complaints review panel should the need arise, making recommendations to Council as appropriate.
  3. The Audit Panel is delegated authority to carry-out on behalf of the Council those aspects of the prevailing national audit and governance regime that call for member oversight of details (eg routine bank reconciliation to ledgers, and recommendations to write-off bad debt). Any items where it is necessary to record a Member’s signature are to be delegated to the presiding Chairman of the Panel.  All such reviews and signatures are to be detailed in Panel minutes, and thereby reported to Council at the next appropriate meeting.


Members
Matt Bird, Catlin, John Lamb, Dr Wendy Maples, Merlin Milner,


Next Meeting
Audit Panel 14th August 2019 - August 14, 2019 - 7:00 pm

Meetings Agendas and minutes


Buildings Working Party

The Buildings Working Party is tasked with oversight of maintenance of the Town Hall, All Saints Centre, and Malling Community Centre and other buildings/structures, meeting ad hoc. Currently mandated to administer the refurbishment of Malling Community Centre, and authorized to act for Council in that regard, the Working Party will otherwise formulate recommendations for Council as appropriate with regard to repairs; non-routine maintenance matters, or replacements/refurbishments of major plant and equipment.

Members
Matt Bird, Catlin, Guy Earl, John Lamb, Dr Graham Mayhew, Merlin Milner, Richard Waring,


Meetings Agendas and minutes


Commemorations & Events Committee

  1. Originally a Working Party set up in 2012 to address a number of imminent commemorations; this body had its mandate extended in response to the similar considerations arising through to 2019; when it was established as a standing committee to address the continuing volume of noteworthy commemorations foreseeable in the next few years.
  2. The Commemorations & Events Committee is mandated to consider significant anniversaries/centenaries or similar occasions, and such notable events as may be presented, and to formulate recommendations for Council as to the appropriate recognition of them.


Members
Richard Burrows, Catlin, Guy Earl, Imogen Makepeace, Dr Wendy Maples, Dr Graham Mayhew, Ruth O’Keeffe, Jonathan Vernon,


Meetings Agendas and minutes


Council

Lewes Town Council is the parish council for the civil parish of Lewes.  It is a statutory body consisting of Eighteen representatives who are elected every four years.  Every seat on the Town Council has traditionally been contested in elections by several candidates.

Members
Imogen Makepeace, Janet Baah, John Lamb, Merlin Milner, Richard Burrows, Ruth O’Keeffe, Catlin, Dr Graham Mayhew, Dr Wendy Maples, Guy Earl, James Herbert, Jonathan Vernon, Kate Wood, Matt Bird, Oli Henman, Richard Waring, Rob Handy, Shirley-Anne Sains,


Next Meeting
Council 25th July 2019 - July 25, 2019 - 7:30 pm

Meetings Agendas and minutes


Equality; Diversity & Inclusion Working Party

This Working Party should:  identify and catalogue over the forthcoming year improvements and moderations to the current policy  meet annually to update and refresh council principles.  demonstrate to the public that the Council is fully committed in developing Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity.

Members
Janet Baah, Matt Bird, Catlin, Rob Handy, James Herbert, Dr Wendy Maples,


Meetings Agendas and minutes


Finance Working Party

  1. The Finance Working Party comprises 6 Members, who are NOT also appointed to the Audit & Governance Panel.
  2. The Working Party will meet initially in late October/early November with additional meetings as required, but with the object of formulating recommendations to the December meeting of Council for service expenditure budgets; amendments to fees & charges, and a Council Tax Precept value for the ensuing year.
  3. Should additional meetings be required, these must allow for final recommendations to be made to Council no later than the January meeting.


Members
Guy Earl, Oli Henman, James Herbert, Dr Graham Mayhew, Ruth O’Keeffe, Kate Wood,


Meetings Agendas and minutes


Grants Panel

  1. The Grants Panel will meet 4 times per year, in accordance with a published annual schedule.
  2. There is no public or applicant access to meetings of the panel.
  3. The Panel is tasked to assess applications for financial grant, following principles of the Council’s published Grants Scheme, and to make recommendations to Council for payment or otherwise.
  4. The Panel is not required to justify its recommendations, but is asked to consider any helpful comments that may be made to assist applicants who are either denied a grant or offered an amount less than that applied-for.
  5. The Panel is asked to make its recommendations with due regard to the budgeted sum available for the year, although recommendations may be made which either leave an unspent balance at year-end, or which require supplementary funding from the General Fund, provided these are in reasonable proportion to the overall total for the year.


Members


Meetings Agendas and minutes


Landport Bottom Management Committee

Landport Bottom, previously owned jointly with Lewes District Council (LDC), is now owned outright by the Town Council.    Day-to-day the site is managed by the Lewes District Ranger and, following the transfer of ownership, this service continues under contract with LDC. This Downland site has a number of aspects which make its management less straightforward than an urban park or sports facility and there is a high level of interest and practical involvement from within the community.  A standing Landport Bottom Management Committee is therefore established as:
  1. Landport Bottom Management Committee comprises eight Members, with a remit:
    1. To conserve and enhance Landport Bottom as an important feature of the local landscape
    2. To increase biodiversity by appropriate habitat management
    3. To protect and conserve the Scheduled Ancient Monuments; Registered Battlefield site, and other important historical features.
    4. To promote quiet, informal enjoyment of Landport Bottom by the general public.
    5. To involve the local community in the development and management of the site
    6. To increase the understanding and awareness of the importance of the site, amongst local people and visitors.
    7. To manage the site with the Health and Safety of the visitors, staff and volunteers as a high priority.
    8. To manage stock with the highest welfare standards.
    9. To maintain current fixed assets to high standards.


Members
Matt Bird, Richard Burrows, Rob Handy, Oli Henman, Ruth O’Keeffe, Shirley-Anne Sains, Jonathan Vernon,


Meetings Agendas and minutes


Open Council Working Party

To identify methods for improved public engagement and greater provision of information to residents of Lewes. It is suggested that this should include:-  A review of information sharing and the methods used to share key events and policy developments  Consideration of good practice on methods of online deliberation and social media, such as on key town-wide issues  Identifying ways to provide more joined-up support for community engagement in and around Council-owned buildings

Members
Matt Bird, Catlin, Oli Henman, James Herbert, Dr Wendy Maples, Ruth O’Keeffe, Shirley-Anne Sains, Jonathan Vernon, Richard Waring, Kate Wood,


Meetings Agendas and minutes


Pells land exchange Working Party

A land-swap proposal has been made by Lewes District Council in respect of land held by the Town Brook Trust, to better-align boundaries with the proposed North Street Quarter development.  Very small areas of land are involved, but there are implications for the future plans for the Pells.  It was proposed that a Working Party be set up to consider the matter in detail.

Members
Catlin, Oli Henman, Dr Graham Mayhew, Ruth O’Keeffe, Shirley-Anne Sains, Kate Wood,


Meetings Agendas and minutes


Pells Pool Community Association Liaison

The working party helps maintain our working relationship with the Pells Pool Community Association (PPCA), who are licensed to manage the swimming pool each Summer; and to develop a long-term joint vision on which future developments at the Pool can be based.  Any Councillor is welcome to attend the occasional meetings of this group.

Members


Meetings Agendas and minutes


Personnel Panel

  1. The Personnel Panel comprises 6 Members.
  2. The Panel will meet ad hoc if required to consider matters of staff discipline or grievance; new or amended policy requirements or proposals related to staff pay and conditions, and recruitment and appraisal of the Town Clerk.
  3. In matters of policy or recruitment, the Panel is authorized to formulate recommendations for consideration by Council.
  4. In matters of staff discipline or grievance or similar matters, the Panel is delegated authority to act on behalf of Council, with the caveat that Council remains the final arbiter in any appeal process.


Members


Meetings Agendas and minutes


Planning and Conservation Committee

The Council has delegated authority to the Planning Committee:
  • To consider all matters relating to the use and development of land affecting, or likely to affect, the Town area and its environs.
  • To exercise the power and duties of the Council in respect of the powers conferred on it from time to time under the Town and Country Planning Acts and the Orders and Regulations made thereunder including:
    • development control
    • the local plan process
  • To respond on behalf of the Council to all Consultations by the District and County Councils on planning applications, Tree Preservation Orders and related matters;
  • To monitor, review and where necessary make recommendations to the Council for amendments to the planning consultation procedure;
  • To consider and make recommendations to the Council regarding any matter related to the role of the Town Council in terms of planning and planning consultation processes.
  • To consider and make recommendations to the Council regarding transport and travel related issues generally and specifically with regard to:
    • The transport and highway impact and implications of planning applications;
    • Local and Transport plans and modifications thereto;
    • Proposals for promoting (either directly or indirectly) community transport schemes within the Town
    • Highway and related matters
    • Signage and Streetscape-related matters
  • To respond on behalf of the Council to consultations received from the District and County Councils regarding on‑street and off‑street parking matters and Highway and Traffic Orders.


Members
Janet Baah, Catlin, Rob Handy, James Herbert, John Lamb, Imogen Makepeace, Dr Wendy Maples, Merlin Milner, Shirley-Anne Sains,


Meetings Agendas and minutes


UN Sustainable Development Goals Working Party

Council was asked to note the UN Sustainable Development goals, which are a universal call to action to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure that all people enjoy peace and prosperity. It was recognised that achievement of the goals requires action at all levels from the international to the local, from organisations to individuals and from national government to parishes. The working party working party was established with three main purposes:- A         To assess the current activities of the Town Council against the 17 over-arching goals, as well as their sub-categories, to establish what we are doing to help bring about the goals. B          To look at what further activities the Town Council might promote that would enable Lewes to make its contribution towards achieving the goals. C          To create a snapshot report against which all future activities can be measured.

Members
Janet Baah, Matt Bird, Oli Henman, James Herbert, Imogen Makepeace, Ruth O’Keeffe,


Meetings Agendas and minutes


Find Us

Lewes Town Council
Town Hall
Lewes
East Sussex BN7 2QS
Tel: 01273 471469

Hours
Mon – Thu: 9am – 5pm
Fri: 9am – 4pm

Share This